Undhiyu is signature winter speciality of Gujarat. Mix veggies with methi leaves fried fried dumpling, yummiest combination. It can be made with fresh green spices or dried spices. Here, I am posting my style recipe with green spices. Hope you all like it.
2 tbsp green chilli paste
4tbsp fresh green garlic paste
1 cup or more coriander (Finley chopped)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp dhaniya-jeera powder(optional)
Salt to taste.
1 cup cleaned and finely chopped methi leaves
1 cup coarse wheat flour
2 tbsp Besan
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp dhaniya-jeera powder
1/4 tsp cooking soda
Salt to taste.
2 cups of dices of mix vegetables like potato, cauliflower, brinjal, yam, elephant’s foot etc
2 cups of mixed fresh green peas, tuver, and broad beans(valor) etc.
1/4 cup broad beans (surti papdi)
1/4 cup finely chopped coriander
- Mix both the flours, sugar, oil and dry spices.
- Now put cooking soda on methi leaves and add lemon juice on it. Bubbling occurs. Mix it well with methi leaves and mix methi leaves in flour mix.
- Knead medium hard dough with light hand. Add water if needed. Apply oil on your palm and make small dumpling from dough.
- Deep fry it on medium flame till it becomes crispy. Keep it on absorbent paper.
- Now hear oil in broad and thick bottom pan. Add green chilli paste, green garlic paste and coriander.
- Stir once and add cooking soda and mix well and add all fresh green seeds. Stir and let it cook for few minutes.
- Then add one cup of water, once it starts boiling, add broad beans, turn the flame on simmer, and cook for again 2-3 mins, then add all potatoes, yam and elephant’s foot dices. Then cook for 2-3 mins more.
- Add brinjal and cook for more 2-3 mins, then add cauliflower florets. Mix well and add salt and let it cook for 4-5mins more.
- Check if water evaporates. Add little more if needed. Don’t add excess water, or else the flavour will be destroyed.
- Lastly add turmeric powder, dhaniya-jeera powder and lemon juice. Mix with light hand. Check now if all the veggies are cooked or not. If not cooked, then cook for a few more minutes. Turn off the gas.
- At the time of serving, add the muthiyas and garnish with chopped coriander. Serve Undhiyu hot with roti or puri.